http://dixieoutfitters.com

PoP's Southern American: Noble Sentiments from a Northern Lady.

10/20/2012

Noble Sentiments from a Northern Lady.

DAILY CONSTITUTIONALIST [AUGUSTA, GA , July 28, 1864, p. 4, c. 1

Noble Sentiments from a Northern Lady.

A lady in Iowa writes to her brother, a soldier n the Confederate army at Mobile as follows:

Oh, how I long for the day to arrive when hostilities will cease, and the Southern Confederacy will be crowned with the glorious wreath of victory, having achieved their independence and secured themselves from the Yankee tyrants! I pray fervently that the South may succeed, and I know they will, for God is with them, and they must succeed.

If I were in the South I would make clothes for the soldiers. I wish I were near you, for I know I could aid in making you comfortable. It is needless for me to say to you to be cheerful amid all the privations and hardships you have to undergo; for a knowledge of holiness of the cause in which you are engaged is sufficient to silence the cry of complaint or dissatisfaction.

The south’s all is at stake! Never—never give up to be slaves of the Northern despots. My heart throbs in anxious expectations of the happy results of this spring’s campaign. Victory must be yours!

The noble soldiers of the south cannot be permitted by an almighty, merciful and just God, to spill their blood much longer, fighting with the worthless scum of the North.

How many hearts the hateful Abolitionists have made to bleed! I cannot bear to look at one of them, much less to speak to them.

A call was made through the papers for the Catholic ladies to meet at one of the public school houses to adopt measures to collect means and take tables at the Sanitary Fair; but, thank God, only seven Catholic ladies in D------ attended it.

Three cheers for the Catholic ladies of D------! True to principle, to justice, and the Constitution framed by the wisest and best of men. If the ladies of D------ could wield the government sceptre, peace would soon smile upon the land now desecrated by this most unholy war.

I do love to hear you speak so hopefully and sanguine of success; but why should any one feel or speak otherwise? I feel so, too, and if I were a man I would be at your side, battling for the homes, the firesides, and the altars of the South—above all, for dear, sacred liberty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Contact
PoP Aaron
The Southern American
HERE

NOTICE:
Anonymous comments not posted.
Be man enough to stand as one.